Yesterday we attended the 4th e-Reader and Tablet Conference of WAN-IFRA in Vienna.
It was a very interesting and high quality set of case studies from leading tablet publishers such as The Daily, Sunday Times, The Telegraph, Die Zeit, Bonnier, TigerSpike, Metro International and L’Espresso.
Among the many insights the speakers have shared, here are the 10 key lessons learnt of 1 year publishing on the iPad:
- Keep it extremely simple for your end-users
- Learn from your audience, iPad users are very engaged and willing to collaborate
- People are actually paying for a finished product
- Subscriptions bring much more revenues than one-time purchases
- The content production is much more difficult than the app development
- HTML5 is not trivial, it takes a great effort if you want to get it right
- Work closely together with device manufacturers
- Split content into Automatic, Semi-automatic, Manual pages
- Advertising: the simpler the ad, the better
- The device defines the demography: iPad owners have different expectations than Android tablet owners